Skipper Bay Trail
- Location: Skipper Bay Trailhead
- Address: North Boat Harbor Drive, Provo, UT 84601
- Amenities: None
- General description: Trail starts near Utah Lake State Park and travels about one mile to the North. It’s a good scenic walk, but access to the lake is limited due to vegetation.
- Rentals: None
- Site manager contact information:
- Utah County, 801-851-8000, email@example.com
- Fees: None
- Hours of Operation:
- Popular activities in this location
Virtual Driving Directions and Tour of Skipper Bay Trail
Follow us on Social Media!
1 day ago
The major source of the murkiness in Utah Lake has to do with the mountains that surround the lake, especially those on the east side. These mountains are made up of mostly limestone which contains a lot of calcium carbonate, the same thing as chalk. When the water flows down over and through these mountains it transports the calcium carbonate to Utah Lake where it concentrates to the point that the water looks a little “milky” or “murky.” The sediments resting on the lake bottom are then stirred up by wind created waves and large bottom feeding fish like carp. ... See MoreSee Less
The level is primarily affected by climate, but also by water use from the lake and its tributaries. It drains 3,846 square miles of land and the precipitation varies each year. On average, about half the water that flows into the lake is lost to evaporation. #FAQfriday #utahlake